''This archeological project is sponsored by The Marie Mazzone Center for the Arts and Humanities Srl, an Italian company founded by Mr. Michael Cioffi.
Mr. Cioffi is sponsoring this work and the scholarship of the archeologists at CdT as part of a vision to create in this small village that has been lost in time a center for the arts and humanities. At this center individuals and scholars and artists will gather to hold seminars about art, history, literature and philosophy. Visual artists will paint and sculpt, world class musicians will perform and writers will create new works of poetry and fiction. All of this will take place is the stunningly beautiful setting of medieval CdT overlooking the Val d'Orcia.
The site of Prof. Valenti's work and discovery will become an archeological garden forever linking Ctd and this part of Tuscany to its past and to its fascinating history. These gardens will, of course, be open to the public and also serve as an inspiring venue for future seminars and discussions about the "big questions" of life--how do we as individuals live good, noble and happy lives and how do we as societies, nations and citizens of an increasingly complex world live together justly, productively and harmoniously. These discussions--thanks to Prof. Valenti's work and scholarship--will always be informed by those from the past who lived, worked, dreamed and wondered on this very site for the last three millennia''.
Castiglioncello del Trinoro
Villanovan-Etruscan center of considerable importance, as witness the many nearby necropolis, was in a fortified medieval castle owned by the Auditors Manenti of Sarteano who gave to the abbey camaldolese San Piero in Campo in Val d'Orcia (acts of 1117 and 1126).
Purchased by the Republic of Siena in 1250, was subsequently transferred from this to the powerful family of Salimbeni seems that have repeatedly hosted Santa Catherine of Siena.Castiglioncello come back to the Republic of Siena in 1418, the small town followed the tide of Siena joining the
Grannducato of Tuscany in 1555.
Of the ancient fortifications and of the five churches remain the Porta Senese and the Romanesque church of Sant'Andrea.