Il progetto

Castiglioncello del Trinoro

''This archeological project is sponsored by The Marie Mazzone Center for the Arts and Humanities,Srl, an Italian company founded by Mr. Michael Cioffi. Mr. Cioffi is sponsoring this work and the scholarship of the archeologists at CdT as part of a vision to create in this small village that has been lost in time a center for the arts and humanities. At this center individuals and scholars and artists will gather to hold seminars about art, history, literature and philosophy. Visual artists will paint and sculpt, world class musicians will perform and writers will create new works of poetry and fiction. All of this will take place is the stunningly beautiful setting of medieval CdT overlooking the Val d'Orcia.
The site of Prof. Valenti's work and discovery will become an archeological garden forever linking Ctd and this part of Tuscany to its past and to its fascinating history. These gardens will, of course, be open to the public and also serve as an inspiring venue for future seminars and discussions about the "big questions" of life--how do we as individuals live good, noble and happy lives and how do we as societies, nations and citizens of an increasingly complex world live together justly, productively and harmoniously. These discussions--thanks to Prof. Valenti's work and scholarship--will always be informed by those from the past who lived, worked, dreamed and wondered on this very site for the last three millennia''.

Castiglioncello del Trinoro

Centro villanoviano-etrusco di notevole importanza, come testimoniano le numerosi necropoli circostanti, fu nel medioevo un castello fortificato di proprietà dei conti Manenti di Sarteano che lo cedettero all’abbazia camaldolese di San Piero in Campo in Val d’Orcia (atti del 1117 e 1126).
Acquistato dalla Repubblica senese nel 1250, fu successivamente ceduto da questa alla potente famiglia dei Salimbeni che pare vi avessero più volte ospitato Santa Caterina da Siena.
Tornato alla Reppublica nel 1418, il piccolo comune ne seguì le sorti entrando a far parta del Granducato di Toscana nel 1555.
Delle antiche fortificazioni e delle cinque chiese restano la Porta Senese e la chiesa romanica di Sant’Andrea.